billow Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun a large sea wave
verb rise up as if in waves
- smoke billowed up into the sky
verb move with great difficulty
- The soldiers billowed across the muddy riverbed
verb rise and move, as in waves or billows
verb become inflated
Cf. Icel. bylgja
billow, Dan. bölge
, Sw. bölja
; akin to MHG. bulge
billow, bag, and to E. bulge
. See Bulge
- A great wave or surge of the sea or other water, caused usually by violent wind.
Whom the winds waft where'er the billows roll.
- A great wave or flood of anything.
Bil"low intransitive verb
imperfect & past participle Billowed present participle & verbal noun Billowing
- To surge; to rise and roll in waves or surges; to undulate. "The billowing snow."
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters